Monday, February 29, 2016
Aside from being the perfect place to park the family car, garages are wonderful for a variety of reasons - home projects, storage and play. That is why a garage can pose security and safety challenges. It is important to think safety, especially when children regularly play in the garage. Below is a list of 10 garage door safety tips to help everything and everyone remain safe.
1. Ensure that the control button of the door opener is not within reach of small kids.
2. It is important to not let kids use the remote controls of the door as a plaything.
3. In order to know how to utilize the emergency release feature (and other features of the door), the owner's manual should be read front to back.
4. Garage doors need to be visually inspected every month. The rollers, springs, and cables should be inspected for any sign of wear. One should not make any attempt to adjust, remove or even repair these garage door parts or any other thing attached to the parts. Well-trained, skilled, and experienced door technicians should be the only ones allowed to make the necessary adjustment. It is too risky for an amateur repairman to try and make adjustments to aforementioned parts, as these parts are under high tension.
5. Check the door opener's reverse mechanism every month by simply positioning a roll of paper towels or a 2 x 4 board in pathway of the door. If the door fails to reverse after it has contacted an object, then the next thing to do is to contact a skilled garage door expert to repair the fault. If the door is old, then it makes sense to seriously consider getting a brand new door installed - it should come with an auto-reverse feature.
6. Do not place fingers in-between the door sections; it is also important that the children be taught the dangers of doing so. For homeowners with small children, it is best to consider choosing doors that come with sturdy panels that cannot pinch.
7. Never leave the door slightly open. When the door is activated again, the chance of it traveling downwards is high, and it could injure anyone or cause damage to anything in its pathway. Leaving the door partially open will also compromise the safety of the home.
8. Leave the garage door opener unplugged while on vacation.
9. Warn children not to play too close to the door, and explain the dangers to them.
10. One of the tricks used by burglars to gain access into a house is by simply stealing the car or door opener. Do not forget the remote control inside the vehicle or with the parking attendant. It is better to use a keychain and to also ensure that the entryway to the house is always locked, particularly if the door opener is auto-programmed to the car.
Investing in a new model garage door that comes with a lot of safety features is truly a great investment.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8251294
Friday, February 26, 2016
Tuesday, February 23, 2016
According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, thousands of injuries caused by garage doors happen every year. The summer months are when the majority of the garage door related accidents occur, obviously because it is when the doorway if filled with the most action, like the coming and going of children riding their bikes and playing in the driveway. The most common accidents involve doors closing on people (adults and children), fingers or hands becoming caught in the door's sections or parts, and failed attempted home repairs. The resulting injuries often include fractures, crushed bones and body parts, and amputations. An average of 20,000 people a year are treated in hospital emergency rooms for these related injuries.
Many accidents can be attributed to faulty parts, malfunctioning doors and openers, and unsupervised children. In order to keep your family and house guests safe this summer try following these 5 garage door safety tips:
1. Keep openers and controls out of the reach of children! Never let a child play with the remote controls. Like any "toy" if a child is allowed to play with it once they will continue to play with it, even without the supervision of their parents. Don't start a bad habit!
2. Explain the dangers of the garage door to your children. If they understand that there is danger associated with the door, and that it is not a toy then they will be less likely to put themselves in the way of harm. Many residential homes have sectional garage doors. Be sure that children know never to place their fingers or other objects between these sections.
3. Be sure that you and the other adults in your household know how to use the emergency release feature of your garage door in case an accident should occur. The owner's manual should give the relevant instructions on this feature.
4. Inspect your door once a month. Take a look at its springs, cables, rollers, pulleys, and other parts for any signs of wear and tear. For your safety, do NOT attempt to remove, adjust, or repair any of these parts or their attachments! Only a trained repair professional should handle this job. These parts are under high tension and can easily snap back causing serious injury or even death.
5. Test the safety features of your door every month. Place a small, yet durable object, like a 2x4 board in the path of the door so that it will make contact with the object on the floor as it closes. If working properly, the garage door should stop and automatically reverse direction to return to the open position once it comes in contact with the object. If it does not do both (stop and reverse), then it's definitely time to give the professionals a call.
Prevention is the first step to making sure that your home is safe and secure for all who enter. Again, if your unit needs repairing, contact a professional garage door repair company to handle the job, for the safety of you and your family.
Every homeowner and every parent should be aware of the danger their garage door can pose to them and their family. By following a few summer safety tips you can keep your family safe and your garage door working in pristine condition.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7907861
Saturday, February 20, 2016
LiftMaster products were part of DIY Network's series "Garage Mahal" and helped with renovation of Jay Leno's 17,000-sq. ft., six-car, three-room home garage. Featured in this video is model 3800 Residential Jackshaft Opener with EverCharge Standby Power System.
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
You can use many ways to protect and safeguard your house. Among other parts of the house the needs protection is garage where you can park your car when it's not needed. Garages need your attention; they should be maintained on a regular basis. The first thing you need to pay attention to is the garage door. If the garage door is dysfunctional, your garage may be more prone to theft. So, it is important for you to you hire the services of a professional for garage door repairs. But the question is, how can a professional keep your garage safe? Read on to find out the answer.
If the torsion and opening springs of your garage are not working properly, your garage will be at the mercy of thieves. After getting the problem fixed, you can have peace of mind, as no one except you will be able to open the door and get in. As a result, your garage will be safe.
Installation of sensors
Another great method employed by professionals is the safety sensors. The sensors will sound an alarm as soon as someone tries to get an unauthorized access to your garage. The safety sensors are not costly and can be easily installed.
If you have remotely controlled doors but they are not working properly, you can call a garage door repair service. If you don't have the remote control feature, you can get doors with this feature installed with ease.
Remote control doors can be opened or closed with a remote control. If you want to benefit from this feature, you may want to contact a service provider. Without any doubt, this type of doors makes it easier for you to use your garage and keep it safe at all times.
Can you install all the security devices yourself? If you are a novice, it may be close to impossible for you. Plus, if you have no idea how to install this type of equipment, you might end up damaging the device or getting hurt. Therefore, to be on the safe side, getting the services of a professional is a stroke of genius.
You can get anti-burglar alarms installed, for instance, to ensure the safety of your garage even when you are out of home or city. No one will be able to break in as long as your garage door is protected by an anti-burglar alarm. If anyone makes an attempt to get in your house, the security system will notify the security service pros and they will come to your house in a few minutes. So, these security systems provide you with 24/7 security.
So, what are you waiting for? Now is the time that you do something to secure your garage, especially the garage doors. Choosing a good garage door repairs service is not so easy. You need to do your research before deciding to hire a certain service. Keep all the important factors in mind and then make this decision.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9299628
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Clopay's Coachman® Collection steel garage doors offer the look and beauty of carriage house garage doors with the additional benefits of weather resistance, energy efficiency, and low maintenance. See our complete line of products: clopaydoor.com/
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Monday, February 8, 2016
Homeowners are usually keen on keeping their houses safe from intruders while overlooking securing their garages, let alone, knowing the tell tale signs of a garage needing repairs.
If you are one of the clueless owners when it comes to garages, here are some tips in knowing yours needs attention:
As you are backing up your car or entering your driveway, you hear clicking and whirling as the door opens or closes, there might be a problem that needs to be addressed. This can be about the door mechanisms or the door springs might need replacement. Perhaps, there was a previous intrusion in your home and your garage needs burglary repairs. If the intruders were able to open it forcefully, chances are they have broken some parts which resulted to the noise. Another possible origin is the motor that is malfunctioning or simply having issues. The key here is to listen closely and have a reliable locksmith check on it.
Wear and Tear
Over the years, your garage can suffer from wear and tear from use and even from neglect. In most cases, springs and torsion mechanisms can get damaged. If not immediately repaired, this can even be a cause of accidents. Springs are designed to take in stress but too much of anything is not good. Your garage doors and mechanisms can also be affected when subjected to it.
Behind the Times
Perhaps you have built your garage years ago and it needs a little make over. Does your garage door opener have only one code that cannot be changed? Is it running without a backup battery pack? Or do you still open your garage using different sets of keys? If you answer yes to all these questions, your garage security system needs to be modified. There are different types of garage door locks available nowadays.
Does Not Look Physically Right
If you notice the garage doors are out of shape or unsteady when you operate them, they can be decaying and out of balance. There are two sets of springs at the sides and if one is broken or about to wear down. If these springs lose tension or the levers are broken, this needs to be resolved. You might even want to consider a full garage door installation.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8976413
Friday, February 5, 2016
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
If you have a garage, you must have felt how important the garage door is at some point of time. The importance of a proper garage door for the safety of your car and family members cannot be underscored. In this article, let us understand about the garage doors and become conscious about the importance of their regular maintenance.
While planning for a garage door, the first thing that comes to your mind is its building material. Customers are spoiled for choice as far as the building materials and designs are concerned. Wood and steel are the commonest building material. For each kind of garage gate material, you can get multiple options for its exterior look and feel. You can decide upon decorative windows, hardware, and insulation as per your requirements.
When you shop around for a new garage gate, each manufacturer will vouch that their product is the best. Don't be tempted by catchy advertisements or unrealistic promises. Always keep in mind that your new garage gate should last for at least 10-20 years, depending upon the usage rate and maintenance frequency.
Steel Garage Gates
Steel garage gates are most common. Lower costs, ease of maintenance, and a variety of available designs make steel garage doors the obvious choice. In general, no painting is required, though you can have a garage gate painted if you wish. You can also get a variety of designs, such as, raised panels, flush panels and so forth. As most garages share an interior wall of a home, insulation inside the garage door can help in cutting down your heating/cooling expenses.
Wooden Garage Gates
In terms of popularity and range of choices, wooden garage doors come next to steel garage doors. However, a wooden garage door is costlier than a steel garage door. Wooden garage doors need to be painted to prevent damage caused by water. They can withstand more wear and tear than steel garage doors. Wooden garage doors also have insulation options. If you want to have a customized garage door, then a wooden one will be the best bet.
Other Types of Garage Gates
Apart from steel and wood, vinyl garage doors are also getting popular nowadays. Vinyl garage gates are rustproof and are more resistant to scratches than their steel counterparts. A vinyl garage gate is not usually available off the shelf. It usually takes a lead-time of 2-4 weeks. A vinyl garage door has the same exterior style and insulation options as a steel garage door.
With environment consciousness pervading far and wide, people are seeking environment-friendly garage door materials. These environment-friendly garage doors are made up of recycled wood. These garage doors can be painted and have insulation facilities.
Maintaining Garage Gates
Always remember to maintain your garage gates regularly. It will cut down your maintenance expenditure to a considerable extent. Check the balance of your door and make sure that it doesn't need adjustments. Also, examine the parts, such as springs, rollers, and tracks and ensure that they work correctly. Don't prolong the repair of your garage gate. Do not attempt to repair anything on your own, always bank upon the expertise of a professional repairer.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2689908