Clopay's Gallery Collection steel garage doors offer vintage style and beauty with the additional benefits of energy efficiency and low maintenance. See our complete product line: clopaydoor.com/
Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Sunday, April 26, 2015
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, thousands of injuries caused by garage doors happen every year. The summer months are when the majority of the garage door related accidents occur, obviously because it is when the doorway if filled with the most action, like the coming and going of children riding their bikes and playing in the driveway. The most common accidents involve doors closing on people (adults and children), fingers or hands becoming caught in the door's sections or parts, and failed attempted home repairs. The resulting injuries often include fractures, crushed bones and body parts, and amputations. An average of 20,000 people a year are treated in hospital emergency rooms for these related injuries.
Many accidents can be attributed to faulty parts, malfunctioning doors and openers, and unsupervised children. In order to keep your family and house guests safe this summer try following these 5 garage door safety tips:
1. Keep openers and controls out of the reach of children! Never let a child play with the remote controls. Like any "toy" if a child is allowed to play with it once they will continue to play with it, even without the supervision of their parents. Don't start a bad habit!
2. Explain the dangers of the garage door to your children. If they understand that there is danger associated with the door, and that it is not a toy then they will be less likely to put themselves in the way of harm. Many residential homes have sectional garage doors. Be sure that children know never to place their fingers or other objects between these sections.
3. Be sure that you and the other adults in your household know how to use the emergency release feature of your garage door in case an accident should occur. The owner's manual should give the relevant instructions on this feature.
4. Inspect your door once a month. Take a look at its springs, cables, rollers, pulleys, and other parts for any signs of wear and tear. For your safety, do NOT attempt to remove, adjust, or repair any of these parts or their attachments! Only a trained repair professional should handle this job. These parts are under high tension and can easily snap back causing serious injury or even death.
5. Test the safety features of your door every month. Place a small, yet durable object, like a 2x4 board in the path of the door so that it will make contact with the object on the floor as it closes. If working properly, the garage door should stop and automatically reverse direction to return to the open position once it comes in contact with the object. If it does not do both (stop and reverse), then it's definitely time to give the professionals a call.
Prevention is the first step to making sure that your home is safe and secure for all who enter. Again, if your unit needs repairing, contact a professional garage door repair company to handle the job, for the safety of you and your family.
Every homeowner and every parent should be aware of the danger their garage door can pose to them and their family. By following a few summer safety tips you can keep your family safe and your garage door working in pristine condition.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7907861
Sunday, April 19, 2015
We need your help to decide which of our four finalists will open for ZZ Top at Charlotte Motor Speedway! But first, learn more about what types of music Kasey Kahne and the No. 5 LiftMaster pit crew enjoy.
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
Garages have been around for over a century now and have come a long way since the very first car owners started storing their cars in carriage houses next to their horses. The importance of having a separate building to store automobiles became apparent quickly after affluent people became tired of their vehicle smelling like manure and livestock. The first real garages were large buildings built as separate structures, and stored around 100 cars. However, after the automotive boom began to build momentum these structures became insufficient to store everyone's cars.
The modern garage was born as an independent storage space dedicated to storing and preserving people's automobiles. Over time the structures took on more uses in people's lives; from workshops, to home offices, to general storage spaces, garages became not only important for cars, but also important for a whole host of other reasons. Because of this natural progression the quality and performance of garages, garage door openers, and garage doors became more important.
While most new homeowners appreciate remodeled kitchens and bathrooms, hardwood floors, and new appliances, the importance of the garage is often overlooked. This can be a costly mistake, especially if the home is in a part of the country with extreme weather conditions. Homeowners would be wise to ensure that their garage door is installed and serviced by a local company familiar with local weather conditions and issues common to that area.
Extreme weather can cause garages to malfunction, break, and even trap someone inside creating a potentially deadly situation. If garage doors and openers are installed by an inexperienced technician, the door or opener can malfunction and result in serious damage to vehicles or even injury to people. With extreme heat doors and openers made of cheap materials can warp and break while in use, creating a dangerous situation. If the garage door opener breaks in extreme heat a singles person could be trapped inside and unable to manually open the door. Even with safety mechanisms built into modern garage doors, it is possible for someone to become trapped if the wrong spring breaks.
For these reasons it is important not to overlook the selection of the door, door opener, and company that will be used. For new construction it is typical for developers to use their own suppliers, so it is wise to do independent research on this company and insist on a new option if the company seems suspect.
In addition to danger, choosing the wrong garage door supplier could be extremely costly. Door repair costs can be in the hundreds of dollars and beyond, depending on what needs to be repaired. The best policy is to do research on multiple local companies and manufacturers. You can begin by searching for local garage door companies, then noting which products they carry and install. Once an initial list of local companies is made you can read reviews of those companies and research the manufacturers they work with. Once you have identified a good local company and a few quality manufacturers you are on your way. A good garage door dealer will be able to help you select the right options for your individual needs and budget.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6601862
Saturday, April 11, 2015
Impossible to lift, sagging and cracking, and generally falling apart - these are just some of the common signs that will tell you it's time to replace your garage door with a new one. However, there are a few people who, in spite of the absence of any of these, still go for a replacement door. Why they do so? Here are the top 5 reasons why garage door should be replaced.
1. Increase the value and improve the appearance of your home. Have you ever noticed that the garage door represents ¼ to 1/3 of the front of your home? If you have, then you will know exactly what a new stylish and maintenance-free door can do for the value of your home. Believe it or not, even real estate agents will confirm that when you decide to sell your home in the future, it will be easier to do so if its garage door looks good. Moreover, a new garage door also improves the overall appearance of your home. Simply choose from a wide variety of garage door colours, styles, and windows to match the look of your home and voila - your home will look even better in no time.
2. Increase your garage's uses. Although some homeowners use their garage solely for parking their vehicles, there are many who decide to utilize it beyond such purpose. That's why they use an insulated garage door between R-12 & R-18 to make it a more conducive place to work in. With such condition, the garage can now be used as art studio, workshop, playroom, special party room, heated storage room, and even a music room.
3. Provide added protection to the items stored in the garage. Extreme heat and cold can damage the items stored in your garage. To prevent this from happening, you need to replace your old garage door with an insulated one. This often comes with a thermo barrier, preventing cold or heat from traveling from the outside to the inside surface. Combine this with a double fin rubber seal, bottom rubber weather strip, and PVC weather strip and you've got one of the tightest sealing garage doors ever. But aside from elements, a metal insulated door also protects your stored items from thieves who are attempting to break in. Unlike wooden or metal non-insulated door, the metal insulated one is more difficult to drill and kick in.
4. Prevent easy access to your home. Even if you have the toughest front door installed, but your garage door is just the ordinary type, chances are your home can still be easily accessed. So to prevent this from happening, have a garage door opener that features rolling code technology. This makes it really difficult for anyone to enter through the door as the opener uses one of 100-billion new codes every time the door is opened.
5. Reduce the risk of injury. If you're still using your old garage openers, perhaps you'll consider replacing them with the ones equipped with photo electric eyes. These are now mandatory since they sense when something is passing through the opening or is in the way when the door is coming down, preventing an injury.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2989754
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Video of a garage door setup with two doors operating on a dual upper track. One screen door and one regular door.